|My daughter in her new dress|
|A piece of the original dress|
|The pattern piece pinned to the dress section|
It took me two sessions to get everything all cut out. I cut out a size 10 knowing it would be a little big right now, but it probably won't be for long. The work of a mother is truly never finished. As I was cutting the front panel out I realized that I couldn't cut the pattern out as it was designed. Because my grandmother's dress had a V neck with a dickey, I had to cut this dress out with a V neck. Fortunately, my grandmother's collar and dickey were still usable So I can just cut the collar down a little because it is too wide for a little girl's dress. The collar and dickey were very nicely made with decorative stitching along the edge.
|Cut to pattern piece|
|Back of the dress|
|Front of the dress|
Now all I had left was the side seams and the hem. I did add a small tie to the sides of the dress, because I knew it would be loose through the waist. After I finished the side seams, I had my daughter try on the dress. I wanted to make sure that the hem was the right length. I pinned the hem and started sewing. As I was finishing up the hem I was trying to figure out what I could do to make the dress a little more fun. I thought of all of the white 1/4 inch satin ribbon I have and thought that it would do the job. So I added one row to the sleeves and three rows at the hem.
I think that this dress turned out very nicely and am looking forward to the next one. Oh, and my daughter really likes it also, always a plus. ;)