|Measured soap with dinosaurs|
|Weighting the soap|
I started by gathering all of my trimmed edges. I have trimmings from the ends of the logs as well as from bevelling the edges of the bars. The soap is the same as the bars except it is in smaller pieces. I started by putting the bits in the crockpot a couple handfuls at a time. To this I added a little bit of water. I kept adding as the trimmings melted down little at a time until the crockpot was full.
After I got the soap all melted down, I added peppermint oil for scent. After I got everything mixed I started measuring out the soap. Since the dinosaurs aren't all the same weight and I wanted each of the eggs to have the same amount of soap, I weighted the soap on a cupcake liner for convenience.
|Spread out the soap|
After getting the dinosaur completely enclosed in soap, I made sure that the soap was fairly smooth, regular and egg shaped. This was somewhat complicated because it took a while to get the soap to cool enough to handle and work with (i.e. hold it's shape). I started with the tops. I finished all of the tops before scraping all of the soap off of the cupcake liner and finishing the bottom.
After I got all of the eggs nice and rough shaped, I coated them with cocoa powder. This contributed to the rustic look of the eggs.
|Coated with cocoa powder|
Unfortunately, our dog was outside. She had been eating eggs she found while she was at my folks house. She snatched one of the eggs off of the rack and ran. I managed to catch her before she actually ate it. But of course I can't sell that egg. I can use it for my kids though. I managed to put her on her run line before she grabbed any more. It just goes to show life is never dull and boring when you have kids or animals.
I am linking with the following blogs: